Do you qualify for
You will qualify if
you can show that:
- You are a Commonwealth citizen
- You are aged 17 or over
- You have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the
Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (see note below)
- You have a grandparent who was born in what is now
the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922 (see
- You are able to work and intend to do so in the
- You can support yourself and any dependants, and
live without needing any help from public funds.
Note: if you or your
parent (who you are claiming ancestry through) are adopted,
you can still apply for entry under this category. You
must show evidence of the legal adoption with your application
Can you work in the
You must intend to work
or look for a job in the UK before we can consider you
for entry in this category.
Do you need a work
No. You do not need
a work permit.
How long can you
If you arrive with a
UK Ancestry visa, you will have permission to stay for
What happens after
After five years, you
will be able to apply for permanent residence as long
- You continue to meet the requirements of the Rules
for United Kingdom Ancestry, and
- You have spent a period of five years in employment
in the UK in this way, without a break.
Can your family join
you in the UK?
Your husband, wife,
or eligible partner and children under 18 years of age
can join you in the UK if:
- They have a visa for this purpose, and
- You can support them and live without any help from
Do you need a visa?
You must get a visa
before you travel to the UK. You should apply in the
country where you normally live.
Please fill out this
form in order for us to assist you further. Alternatively,
please contact us on 020 7706 8745 or email us at