uk immigration & work permits ltd


UK Student Visa

The information below is required if a student wishes us to assist in the switching of a student visa to a Business & Commercial work permit In Country.

From 1 January 2005 the Immigration Rules for students changed to reflect the introduction of a Department for Education and Skills Register of Education Providers.

  • From 1 January 2005 applicants are now required to apply for study at an institution registered with DfES.
  • Student Applications should normally fall to be refused if the institution to which they apply is not on the DfES Register.
  • The following changes came in to effect on the 1st January 2005:

Requirements for leave to enter as a student

The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a student are that he;

  • has been accepted for a course of study which is to be provided by an organisation which is included on the Department of Education and Skills' Register of Education and Training Providers, and is at either;

    (a) a publicly funded institution of further or higher education; or

    (b) a bona fide private education institution which maintains satisfactory records of enrolment and attendance; or

    (c) an independent fee paying school outside the maintained sector; and..."

Student Extensions

If you are already studying here, you can apply to extend your stay as a student subject to meeting the requirements of the Rules.

If you are a visa national, you will need a student or prospective student visa in order to stay on in the UK as a student.

If you are a non-visa national you will need a student or prospective student entry clearance in order to stay on in the UK as a student to study a course below degree level If you wish to study a course at degree level or above then you will not need an entry clearance.

Extensions for short courses

From 1 October 2004, the maximum overall permitted period of stay for a student on successive short courses below degree level is 2 years, a short course is now defined in the Rules as "a course of less than 1 year's duration or longer courses broken off before completion". This applies to visa nationals and non-visa nationals. There are no transitional arrangements for this provision.

Students wishing to switch to a Business & Commercial Work Permit in country.

  • Have you graduated in the UK with a degree?
  • Have you met the requirements for leave to enter as a student (as above)?
  • Do you have a skilled job offer?
  • Do you have 0-3 years of experience in that field of work?

If you have answered yes to all questions then please click here for a FREE Business & Commercial assessment form.

Students wishing to change into the HSMP programme in country please click here to see how.

[Top >>]

International Graduates Scheme

You can apply for the scheme whilst you are in the United Kingdom or from abroad.
To be granted leave to stay in the United Kingdom under the International Graduates Scheme you must have successfully completed a course at an institution of higher or further education, which is listed on the on or after 1 May 2007. The types of course you must have completed are:

  1. a bachelors degree course;
  2. a masters or PhD course; or
  3. a postgraduate certificate or diploma.

You must:

  1. have completed your course in the last 12 months (as shown by the date of expiry of leave as a student to complete this course);
  2. intend to work during the period of leave granted under the scheme;
  3. be able to maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants without using public funds; and
  4. intend to leave the United Kingdom at the end of your stay.

If you completed your course on or after 1 May 2007 you can apply for the International Graduates Scheme regardless of which course you have studied. However, if you finished your course before 1 May 2007 you will have to apply under the conditions of the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme rules.
You can switch into the International Graduates Scheme if you are already in the United Kingdom and you have valid leave as a student. This includes leave as a student, a student nurse, to re-sit an examination or to write up a thesis.If you leave the United Kingdom you can apply under the rules listed above but you will need .
You will be granted 12 months maximum leave to complete the International Graduates Scheme. If you spend anytime outside the United Kingdom during this time, we will not give you further leave to make up this time.
You will be able to switch into other employment and self-employment categories (, , or ) whilst in the United Kingdom providing you meet all the requirements of the category.
If you are being sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency you will need to get written permission from your sponsor before applying for the International Graduates Scheme.
All dependants can stay in the United Kingdom under the International Graduates Scheme. If they are applying from abroad they will need entry clearance.

Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme

If you finished your course before 1 May 2007 and were planning to apply for the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme, the same rules apply as the International Graduate Scheme except the types of courses are slightly different. They are:

  1. a degree course (with 2:2 honours or higher); and
  2. a masters or PhD on the relevant list of physical science, mathematics and engineering courses.

You will need to know what the joint academic coding system's code for your course is when applying for the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme, and your tutor or a member of the university staff will be able to provide you with this.
If you have completed a masters degree or PhD that was not on the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme list of eligible courses , and you started it after 1 May 2006 and completed it before 1 May 2007 you can apply for the International Graduates Scheme providing that you meet the other requirements of the Rules.
Please contact us on 0207 706 8745 if you are interested in applying for this visa.

[Top >>]




forms - employers:




form - individuals:



Sitemap Mailing List Tell a Friend

UK Immigration & Property Solicitors Ltd, Suite 11 B, 2 Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3DQ
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7706 8745 Fax: +44 (0) 20 7262 0870